Wayne State University Press is hiring!
Wayne State University Press is looking for an innovative, energetic, and book-loving Assistant Editor to join our hard working and impressive staff. We are located in the heart of the cultural center (Midtown Detroit), and since 1941, Wayne State University Press has been publishing great works of scholarship as well as award-winning series and regional trade titles. Annually we publish about forty books and have a robust journals program.
Working within the acquisition department and reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, the Assistant Editor will be an integral part of the department, which means they are expected to:
· Provide administrative support for the acquisitions department (the Editor-in-Chief and Acquisitions).
· Provide administrative support for the peer review process for the Press.
· Review and respond to unsolicited submissions.
· Maintain information regarding department activity in Press databases.
· Assist in preparing final, approved manuscripts for editing and production.
· As needed, collect and screen permissions for illustrations and text obtained by authors.
· Conduct research, as requested, into disciplinary trends and competing publishers' lists.
· Prepare materials and take notes at editorial board and departmental meetings.
· Graduation from an accredited college or university or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments to meet established deadlines.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships between external and internal contributors.
· Some knowledge and experience in writing, editing and proofreading preferred.
· Some understanding of scholarly book publications preferred.
· Some knowledge and experience in writing, editing, and proofreading preferred.
· Some previous work experience in an office environment preferred.
· Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to maintain a professional demeanor and ability to convey information accurately.
· Computer proficiency, including working with databases and Microsoft Office.
· A strong interest in and intellectual engagement with the publication of scholarly books.
· Ability to work independently toward the collaborative and common goals of the lists, the acquisitions department, and the Press.
More details and application here: https://jobs.wayne.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=547805 (posting number: 044033; posting title: assistant editor)