Redesign of TV Milestones Series
Wayne State University Press is excited to announce the redesign of our TV Milestones Series!
The covers now feature a distinctive TV Milestones logo and fresh templated design to reflect the contemporary nature of this engaging series, which will appeal to both scholars and fans of the show alike. Many thanks to designer Brad Noor (who is also responsible for several other incredible WSU Press covers, including Eye of the Taika, "Black People Are My Business," Scratching the Surface, and When Lions Were Kings).
Noor explained, "the intent was to create a series template that could be tailored to each individual book/show, while being simple enough to produce in-house. Stock photos that alluded to aspects of the shows in a clever way were used, along with bright colors and playful title typography."
TV Milestones Series: Policies for Submitting Book Proposals
TV Milestones is a distinct series of short books written in a critical but lively and accessible style. The emphasis of the series is on television shows, both classic and contemporary, that have demonstrable cultural impact. The books are suitable for general readers and fans of the show in question as well as scholars and students.
The books in this series are published in a compact format (5”x 7”) and therefore, must present a compelling and comprehensive account of one show that, at the time of submission, has ended its air. The main question the book should answer is: What makes this show a true milestone?
Proposals are six to eight pages in length and should include a fully developed table of contents and chapter abstract that addresses most of the following in an organization of your choosing:
· Broadcast history, including audience reception
· Placement in the history of television/broadcast media, both technically and aesthetically
· Ideological, sociological, and historical contexts and importance
· Generic affiliations and contexts
· Authorship and stars
· Visual and performance style
· Discussion of at least two representative episodes
Your initial submission should also include:
· Your CV, resume, or bio
· A few paragraphs summarizing the work, including descriptions of its focus, scope, purpose, and/or argument; what makes it significant, unique, or outstanding; the contribution it seeks to make or need it fills; and its intended audience(s)
· A description of competing books and how your book compares with them
· Your best estimate for when the manuscript will be complete
Completed manuscripts should be no more than 30,000 words, with 20 images (stills from the television show), and should include a bibliography of secondary sources.
For more information on how to submit a project, please visit https://www.wsupress.wayne.edu/tv-milestones-series-policies-submitting-book-proposals or contact acquisitions editor marie.sweetman [at] wayne.edu (Marie Sweetman) or series editor bkgrant [at] brocku.ca (Barry Keith Grant).